Tuesday, April 20, 2010

More Stuff

On a non-sports related note, the television show Glee is a piping hot, cup of trash juice that needs to be eliminated. If you enjoy bad actors breaking into song and dance for no apparent reason, I would look under your sink and find anything with the words; mop, glow, pine, all-purpose, or bubbles and pound it down. If you survive, let it be a reminder that you need to find a new path. I suggest the the entire Nirvana catalog.

The Cavs will not win a championship. Even with a seriously upgraded team, they still run a Lebron against the world offense. The Cavs shouldn't need Lebron to drop 4o points to beat Chicago at home, even if the Bulls played a flawless game. I need this team to prove to me that they can beat the best in a seven game playoff series. Until then I still like the Mavricks to win the NBA championship, they look to good right now.

The Cleveland Browns schedule was released today. My take is 6-9-1.

-6 apologies to close friends

-9 fits of uncontrollable rage

-1 glimmer of hope (remember, new overtime rules only apply in the playoffs)


My experiment of following the Red Sox this summer instead of the Indians is turning into Billy Madison pulling his dirty boot out of a bucket of dry ice. The Indians won four straight, two of the victories saw the starting pitchers throwin complete games. The Red Sox have lost 4 straight and the so-called best pitching staff in baseball has gotten shelled. Doesn't surprise me, the year I moved to New England, the Cavs went to the NBA Finals, the Browns went 10-6, and the Indians were one game away from going to the World Series. However, I still feel good about my decsion to jump ship for the 2010 baseball season, why? Well, the Cavs got swept in those finals, the Browns missed the playoffs, and the Indians lost the ALCS in seven games to.......The Saaaaaaaaaaaaaaawx.


Looks like my fantasy football team name "No Means No Ben" will be appropriate for yet another season. Steelers star quarterback Ben Roethlisberger now has an many Super Bowl rings as sexual assault accusations. The most recent incident happened in the bathroom of a Georgia night club. Brother Ben, I also enjoyed The Wrestler, but that was fiction buddy, not the real deal. You are an NFL quarterback, you want to "hit it" in a night club bathroom, buy the night club. Good thing Steeler WR Santonio Holmes got traded for bad behavior, he was clearly the "real" problem.



I have to hand it to ESPN. Between their 30 for 30 series and John Gruden's segements interviewing the top four quarterbacks in the NFL draft, ESPN has become must see tv. Ten or so years ago, I couldn't stomach the "World's Leader in Sports Entertainment." The network took seasoned and respected sports journalists like Bob Ryan and payed them to be talking head-bafoons on programs like Around The Horn and Pardon The Interruption. Their expecation; take 10,000 word, well crafted columns and turn them into 10 second soundbytes. However, I have enjoyed thier programming this year more than ever. I recomend DVRing 30 for 30 and hitting http://www.espn.com/ for the Gruden segments.



This all leads me to my last point. Americans can sniff out bull s&*$ from ten miles away. I find it ironic that what is brining people back to the "The World's Leader......." isn't the degregation of well-known and well respected journalists. What is brining people back is real story-telling and third-wall dropping segments. Americans dig honesty, in the words of John Lennon, "say what you mean, mean what you say, and put a backbeat to it." In other words, be genuine and create a way for people to easily digest it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers