Wednesday, December 9, 2009

5 Things

With the NFL playoffs looming, the college football seasons ending, and the NBA heating up, it's that time of year again. To hold those closest to you and watch sports figures absolutely loose their mind under pressure. It really is one my favorite things, to watch people have that "don't you dare f-with me" look come over their face and EXPLODE! So here are my five favorite sports meltdowns.

As you can see from previous entries I list things in five, why? Because I watched High Fidelty one too many times. If you haven't please do, it is a great movie and "the sound track kicks f^&*ing ass."

5. Many of us have thrown our cell phone. I find this useless as it results in missed calls and at least $100 for a replacement. However, I consider Hal McRae a revolutionary because in this clip he hurls a rotary phone. A phone so heavy, that Lewis Black once described one as a sufficient weapon against a puma.

4. Do you remember when The University of Colorado football program was the benchmark? When the Big 12 feared the Buffs? Well so does Dan Hawkins and he clearly is frustrated this no longer is the case. I feel ya brother, I played intramural football.

3. In this clip take note at the 2:00 minute mark. You can see a young lady in the right hand corner chewing a piece of gum. I hope she's a student, because there is not a class she will take at Oklahoma State that will ever be this entertaining. Considering coach Dundy is making a good point about the armature athlete, it is hard to laugh, until you compare his comments to this Will Farell re-mix.

2. Bobby Knight is a man who did not understand his own genius, many people that act out in such a way don't. When ESPN produced the movie, Season on The Brink they choose Brian Dennehy (Big Tom Callahn) to play Knight, I feel Dennis Hopper would have a been a better choice. Hopper would have been able to truly act in a way that would have done Knight's tirades justice. Interestingly enough Knight's comments regarding a "game face" are eerily similar to this criminal icon. Not a justified comparison when it comes to life time achievement, but it is at least interesting.

1. I never got into real sports journalism out of my undying fear I would actually have to cover a Mike Tyson fight. When Mike told the entire Associated Press he would eat their children I remember exactly where I was. The place in question was called The Barn, a college hangout that I spent many a evening. My friend Josh interrupted the proceedings one night to ensure we saw the rant. It was at that point I realized why all governments, federal and local, needed to take mental health seriously. Here is 6 plus minutes of vintage Mike. There is no substitute.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers