Wednesday, December 30, 2009

5 Things

1. Every member of the media that releases a top whatever list for the decade should be ignored. I have read numerous "expert opinions" that have forced me to make large donation to the local liquor store. The fact that "real" journalists have spent their time writing closing arguments to debates that, in most cases, result in bar fights is mind boggling to me. Team of the decade? The American people, for not bum rushing and burning down every newspaper stand, television station, and radio broadcast that unveiled a list of decade long accolades that mean absolutely nothing.

2. Let me break down the Mike Leach situation for your. From what I can gather, the son of a well known broadcast journalist from ESPN, was a tremendous pain in the ass for the Texas Tech coaching staff. Said player was the victim of two concussions and as a result, was sent to a locked closet, in a basement during Texas Tech football practices. The Texas Tech administration was made aware of such activity and then suspended head football coach Mike Leach. Coach Leach was then granted a hearing for a restraining order against the player in question, so he could coach the team in their upcoming Alamo Bowl game. The day of the hearing, Coach Leach was fired by Texas Tech. First of all, that is the first and last time I mention the Alamo Bowl in this blog. Second, how does a grown man allow himself to be banished to a locked basement closet ala Chunk in The Goonies? Third, I don't doubt any of the accusations, it is my opinion that Mike Leach is the Bobby Knight of college football, a man that who's own intelligence gets the best of him. Lastly, Craig James, father of the player in question and ESPN analyst needs to stop using ESPN as his personal PTA hearing, no other parent would have such a privilege.

3. Hate to break it to the Boston and Los Angeles based media, the Cleveland Cavaliers are the best team in basketball, right now. I wont bore you with the statistics except for; they have won 9 of their last 10, they have the best record in the East, they went 3 for 4 on West Coast road trip that included wins over the Lakers, Suns, and an 11-6 home record Sacramento Kings team, and yep they still have Lebron James. The problem with last year's Cavalier team was that they peaked too soon and didn't have a strong bench. The bench now includes Big Z, Anderson Varejo, Anthony Parker, Jamario Moon, and Daniel Gibson. Oh, and for those of you second guessing the Shaq trade (and I was one of you) , during the Suns, Lakers, and Kings games, the Cavs outscored their opponents by 6o points in the paint. Like I said, right now, the Cavs are the best team in basketball.

4. I still like my Eagles vs. Chargers Super Bowl prediction. However, let me throw a wild card in there. I am not a gambling man, having money seems to be a requirement in that field. But, I would not bet against Tom Brady and Bill Belichick. Don't be shocked if two of the most talented people in their respected professions find a way to the Superbowl.

5. I was a student at "The Bowling Green State University" when Urban Meyer got his first head coaching job with the Falcons, so I am a bit of a fan. Yea, I could make jokes about his medical condition being the result of broken heart over Tim Tebow graduating, but I won't do that. I am a firm believer that stress kills people, negative thoughts will do you in. If you were the head coach of a major SEC program that gets your opponents best shot every week, you would constantly be thinking that something bad is going to happen. Something bad did happen. If you listen to the 911 call from Meyer's wife asking for help (by the way, somehow, the girl was calm) you get a sense the job got to him. I do hope he takes some time off, the man has spent the last 8+ years going from "The Bowling Green State University" to a two time national champion at the University of Florida. In between he made a stop at the University of Utah, if I were to fly from Northwest Ohio, to Utah, to Florida, I would need a hospital bed. I hope Urban Meyer is part of a bigger revolution in America; people that realize the price of success sometimes isn't worth it.

PCPOTW (Pop Culture Pick of The Week)
A new addition to the blog, my Pop Culture Pick of The Week. I have a degree in Pop Culture and even though it doesn't result in financial success, attraction of the opposite sex, or employment it does allow me to run my mouth on more than just sports.

After listening to all of the Beatles re-mastered albums I can undoubtedly say The White Album is the greatest Beatles record of all time. No album shows the bands collective and individual genius quite like The White Album. You can disagree with me, but you're wrong.

3 comments:

  1. Being a megalomaniac IS tough on the heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What? No love for Nickelback for best album ever?? You know...the Beetles wouldn't exist if it weren't for Nickelback. Never forget where your roots are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My roots always were Canadian metal-lite

    ReplyDelete

Followers