Sunday, January 3, 2010

5 Things

1. I was obviously happy with Ohio State's performance in the Rose Bowl. Reading what Chip Kelly and the Oregon Ducks had to say in the paper, I thought they had the Buckeyes number. The team sounded extremely confident and their quick striking - multiple threat offense sounded like the typical tripping point for Ohio State. Yes, the Ducks missed a crucial field goal and fumbled the ball while in Ohio State territory, but Ohio State did play well.

Much is being said regarding Terrelle Pryor's 266 yard, 2 touch down, 1 interception performance. Much more is being said regarding Jim Tressel allowing Pryor to throw the ball 37 times. It wasn't all that revolutionary, Pryor has proven he can throw the ball down the field when facing single man coverage. Tressel knew Oregon's dedication to stopping the run would result in single man coverage, thus the offensive scheme was put together. It wasn't "un-Tressel like" to take what the defense gives you and it wasn't Un-Pryor like to throw that much (Toledo/Minnesota games come to mind). Both Tressel and Pryor did what they normally do when presented with the circumstances that were presented to them in Pasadena. To say this win was redemption for the recent string of big game losses is fair, to say both Tressel and Pryor turned the corner when it comes to aggressive play calling and throwing the football more is jumping to conclusions.

2. Tim Tebow's last college game against Cinncinnati was a blowout. I have two thoughts on this:
  • As a lesson for coming close to crashing the BCS party, Cincinnati was given a sure blowout game against Florida in the Sugar Bowl. When the BCS games were announced, I and a million other people thought TCU vs. Cincinnati and Boise State vs. Florida would have been better match ups, however that would have been fair. Fair, a word the BCS should have painted on the inside of their toilets so they can literally crap all over it.
  • Tim Tebw is hated, sorry, I don't agree with it, but it's the truth. People hate other people as good as Tim Tebow the same way they hate criminals like Pacman Jones. The average Joe American can't relate to either extreme. I like the guy and wish him well, but I can understand why he is a polarizing figure.
3. Dear Northwestern,

This letter is to inform you that the idea to fake a field goal, while down by three, in overtime during the Outback Bowl was not your own. I allowed for the thought to enter your mind as a punishment for not taking advantage of the numerous opportunities presented to you, by me to win the game.

Sincerely

God

4. Thanks to field conditions I haven't seen since Atreyu lost his horse to the Swamp of Sadness in the Neverending Story, Penn State beat LSU in the Capital One Bowl. I found the football field for both the Capital One Bowl and The Champs Sports Bowl to be an abomination. Can someone shoot an email to the management of the Citrus Bowl and inform them of their location? Orlando, Florida, home to horticulture like this, and this, and even this! They can pull a ticket trade with one of the 10 amusement facilities within a 30 mile radius of their stadium and try to pry some of that talent to maintain the disaster they call a football field.

5. My pick for the National Championship game, I like Alabama and I like them big over Texas. Colt McCoy's suspect ability to handle pressure of any kind is why I think the Crimson Tide will roll. Alabama's defense and pro-style offense will be too much for a Texas team that showed their flaws in a Big 12 championship game they should have lost.

That sound you hear is Longhorn fans cheering that I picked against them because, as I have said before, my predictions are crap.

PCPOTW

"See, Billy Idol gets it, I don't know why she doesn't"

Apparently Bill Idol's first band, Generation X was pretty damn good. I would like to thank this guy for cluing me into something I should of already known, Generation X's Generation X is worth checking out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers