Tuesday, January 12, 2010

5 Things


1. In one calendar year Lane Kiffin took over the head coaching job at the University of Tennessee, promised a victory over the National Champion Florida Gators, accused Gators coach Urban Myer of recruiting violations, compiled a top ten recruiting class, and then bailed to take the open head coaching job at USC. This move is cold, Kelly leaving Zack for Jeff on Saved by the Bell cold. However, it is a good move for the Trojans, especially since Ed Orgeron will be following Kiffin to So Cal .Orgeron is one of the best recruiters in college football history, his work includes the U, USC, Ole Miss, and Tennessee. This is the kind of deal Ari Shapiro couldn't even pull off for Vinny Chase. USC will "fight on!" indeed.

2. If you hear an alarm-like sound coming from the Browns facility in Berea, Ohio its just the legitimate football personnel overload alarm blaring uncontrollably. This is real folks, I can honestly say, on paper, the Browns have one of the best football front offices in the NFL. Will it translate to tears of joy running down the dog masks of grown men? We will see.

3. Former NBA player Jayson Williams kills a man in his mansion and gets 6 years at the most. Don't get mad, just accept the fact that professional athletes don't play by the same rules.

4. I think I will use the number four every week as my designated spot (pun intended) for my verbal blasting of professional baseball. I'm sure baseball loves Mark Mcgwire coming forward about his steroid use. It distracts the country away from the fact that baseball has turned into European soccer with it's premiere leagues and muck at the bottom. Steroids aren't the issue, the issue is a complete lack of control over how individual clubs operate and spend money. Where is baseball's Green Bay Packers, San Antonio Spurs, or Pittsburgh Penguins? Small markets matter, mostly because I call one my hometown. At least I have the SAWWWX.

5. There will not be an NFL lockout in 2011. Follow the money trail, all of the organizations, players, and for that matter, the league will loose too much money. Money maybe the source of all evil, but it usually is the source of all solutions as well.

PCPOTW (Pop Culture Pick of The Week)

My IPOD randomly hit upon a Sub Pop compilation I bought when I was 15. Early recordings of Mudhoney, Nirvana, Green River, Soundgarden, Tad, The Fastbacks, and Seaweed all brought me back to covering 3 subject notebooks with song lyrics and band graffiti. I suggest hitting up an old record and see where it takes you. I had 30 minutes of being 15 again and it was damn refreshing.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers