Sunday, January 17, 2010

5 Things



1.The New York Jets just made it to the AFC championship game and I for one am thrilled. Anytime a head coach resembling Fog Leghorn can find a way to motivate his team to overachieve it's a good story. In all seriousness, I love the Jets style of football. A great defense, a low-mistake passing scheme, and a running game that breaks through at some point within four quarters is effective. Can they beat the Colts, I don't bet against Peyton Manning, but if you're ruling the Jets out, "this team, I say this team can cause more confusion then a mouse in a burlesque house." -Foghorn Legohorn (with a slight edit)

2.I have heard my fair share of racism and sexism in Northeast Ohio, but a growing problem in Cleveland is regionalism. The mistake on the lake these days; that the typical Cleveland sports fan seems to think they can solve every sports problem with local talent. I understand Lebron James is from Akron and that Bernie Kosar was from Youngstown, I'll even give you the, "what could have been" with LeCharles Bentley, but it's starting to get out of control. As I hear rumblings from Cleveland fan that the Browns answer at quarterback could be Troy Smith, I roll my eyes and look for a quiet, discrete, corner restroom to induce vomiting. What is the scouting report on Troy Smith according to Cleveland fan? The words "Cleveland guy" and "Ohio State" seem to be the highest compliments. Unfortunately for Troy Smith and Cleveland fan, I don't hear the words, proven, NFL, or quarterback in their analysis. The new Brown's regime will be making a move at quarterback in the off-season, but I doubt the necessary criteria will involve "Cleveland guy," "Ohio State," or, for that matter, "Heisman."

3. When I wrote about my thoughts on the Notre Tame coaching job, I suggested that the GoldenDomers take an aggressive, no apologies attitude. Too bad for them their greatest rival, USC, took that mentality and grabbed Lane Kiffin. Still earning their name, Notre Tame.

4.As people continue to give me crap about joining Red Sox nation, the Cleveland Indians continue to give me reasons to feel confident in my decision. The barn burner move this week that will undoubtedly result in Progressive Field having the cheapest cover charge of any outdoor bar in Cleveland, involved the signing of Mark Grudzielanek to a minor league contract. Mark Grudzielanek, a player who's only other job option in Northeast Ohio this summer would involve ripping tickets at Cedar Point, is now an option in the Indians farm system. Come to think of it, aren't all of the Cleveland Indians signed to minor league contracts, hoping one day to be called up to a contender the same way C.C. Sabathia, Cliff Lee, and Casey Blake were called up to the Yankees, Phillies, and Dodgers. Give me a reason to come back home Indians. For now, I'm gorging myself on Fenway Franks and Miller Lights at the Bleacher Bar. Go Sawwwwwwx.

5. You want proof-positive that Lebron James is leaving Cleveland, how about when one of the best beat-writers in business, Brian Windhorst, makes the comment, "Because Lebron is going to do what he wants." In my opinion, it's a further indication that Lebron doesn't trust his team or coach. Lebron has said he only cares about winning championships. Lebron has also made comments on becoming the biggest global sports superstar of all time, a cultural sports icon the likes of which we haven't seen before. If he feels it necessary to do whatever he wants, to me, it's because he doesn't think he can fulfill his self-imposed destiny in Cleveland.

PCPOTW (Pop Culture Pick of The Week)

It's been said that when Nirvana wrote the anthem Smells Like Teen Spirit, they were trying to be the Pixies. Actually, that was said by Kurt Cobain. If that isn't reason enough to get into the Pixies, you should probably burn your music collection like religious zealots did after John Lennon alluded to the fact that the Beatles were more popular than Jesus. Songs like, Allison, Debaser, Gauge Away, and Where is My Mind define what came to be known as Alternative Music. Not sure what Alternative Music was called once everyone was listening to it, but nonetheless you should hit up some Pixie's records.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers